Thursday 7 March 2013

Cycle Clubs - Cleveleys V Chorley

You may wonder why I mention these 2 clubs seeings as they are miles apart.
  
After our Manchester to Blackpool ride and our planned Coast to Coast ( C2C ) later in the year we thought it would help us if we joined a club.  Personally I was sceptical about it.  Are the members all bike-snobs?  Are they all fast racers?  Are they all old or too slow?

As my mate Ric lives in Leyland where I was also brought up, Chorley isn't too far away.  They are a new old club which reformed in 2011 after being disbanded over 50 years ago.

Chorley - Ric went out with Chorley to see what they were all about and met their leader Rob Crank and a few other lads.  I then went out with them on a couple of Thursday nights to see if it was worth me travelling from near Blackpool each week just to ride with my mate and the other club riders.
It was an interesting mix of riders.
Here is the first route I did with them - http://app.strava.com/activities/12626424

Here is the second - http://app.strava.com/activities/13219447

For an evening ride, the length wasn't too bad but it seems they don't do much more at the weekend unless they make it a flat route.
Ric has joined and has been out a couple of times with their chaingang as well.

Cleveleys - It seemed logical to check out a local ( to me ) club so after many many emails to their Club Secretary Steve at Cleveleys Road Cycle Club I plucked up the courage to join their Sunday 9:30 ride.  Ric came with me for moral support.

This was the route - http://app.strava.com/activities/13448693

The Sunday ride was led by Doctor Dave Edge, a former Tour of Britain Doctor I'm led to believe.  And boy does he know his stuff.  I thoroughly enjoyed the ride as several of the riders were friendly and were just out there to enjoy the ride. Club rides do tend to be a bit more `social` and so the lunch stop was a bit longer than I might have liked ( but thats part of going out with the club ).
It did get a bit stop/start at the end due to punctures so we had to leave the group and finish the last few miles on our own as Ric had to get home.

I have now joined and now sometimes even lead a Sunday ride!

I have decided that the chaingang is a definite no no for me.  I tried it once - the club meet up in Elswick and do a 15mile circular route twice around Elswick.  Now don't laugh, I managed just 8 miles!  The speed they go at is just stupid and if it wasn't for a couple of the lads helping me a long I don't think I would have got that far!  Having been dropped by the `gang` I cycled home ( slowly ) with my head held low - even worse when I find out one of the `gang` is only a 13/14 year old!!

I have made some great freinds with the club and enjoy the Sunday rides.  Not sure if I'm ready for the A group yet.

Would definitely recommend the Club to anyone.  They are all very helpful.

Next - Ride with Brad Sportive


No comments:

Post a Comment