Friday 8 March 2013


Ride with Brad Sportive
18th August 2012 – 100 miles 10,000ft

After Bradley Wiggins superbly won the 2012 Tour De France, an event was raised to support his charity - the Bradley Wiggins Foundation.  Both me and Rick entered the event called Ride With Brad as it was advertised that Wiggo himself would also take part in it.
We were a little sceptical as to whether Sky would let their main rider take part in an event with a couple of thousand competitors that aren’t anywhere near his level – just think what would happen if someone crashed into him?

100miles is a long way, don’t get me wrong.  But with over 10,000feet of hills to pedal up, it looked a difficult route too.  


We had ridden a number of the climbs during our weekend rides together, but never had we tackled so many in one go.  To help us with the training, we set off from Rick’s house in Leyland and rode over to pick up the last 20 miles or so of the route.  There were plenty of hills here that we had never ridden and so wanted to prepare ourselves as best we could with a little practise run.

Stopping to take a jam sandwich break before we climbed Pendle Hill was a good idea.  What wasn’t was trying to ride up it afterwards and then realise there were even tougher hills ahead!  Sabden Brow immediately after it is stupidly steep, then there were a number of other steep hills to climb and then a long slog up Barley Field where we then turned off the route and headed for home.

Sat on a bench by a stream we both wondered what we had let ourselves in for, especially as the hills we had just done would be at the end of our longest ride ever.  Could we actually do it?

The night before the Ride With Brad event we had to go out around Leyland as some friends who had recently emigrated to Cyprus where over to see us all.  Both me and Rick drank water that night as we had the big ride the following morning.  Never again will I drink 6 pints of water in an evening. It was worse than drinking 6 pints of beer!  Every hour, no joke, I was up having to go to the toilet.  And seeings as it was maybe 1am when I went to bed and we had to be in Barnoldswick for 7am, I didn’t get too much sleep – nerves and a full bladder not helping!
This is the start at around 7:20am


I was so rough when we set off, I really did wish I had a hangover!  
The first big climb of the day was also the first timed climb.  Waddington Fell at around 800ft is a long slog that gets progressively steeper the further you go.  I admit to really struggling and Rick must have beaten me by miles up the hill.  Regrouping at the top, we then set off for Slaidburn where the first feed station was located.  
Just before it we got told that a certain Bradley Wiggins wasn’t too far away so we had a quick munch on an energy bar and carried onto Lythe Fell.  As we approached the climb, all we could see were mile after mile of cyclists struggling up the hill.  There was loads of them.  The top of this climb flattened out and I was still feeling very ill, so much so I wondered if I was going to complete the event.  
Then, as me and Rick were chatting, a group of around 4 riders came passed us.  One of then said “morning boys” to us – he was wearing Sky gear – was it Bradley?  
Oh yes  it was!  
Regardless of how rubbish I felt, we sped after him to see if we could keep up.  Here is one of the shots that I took whilst doing around 30mph one handed – daft yes but hey ho!  Needless to say we only managed about a mile but glad we did.  Not very often you can say you’ve ridden with the first British Tour De France Winner and an Olympic Champion!



You can just make Bradley Wiggins out with the yellow helmet.....








Thanks to Wiggo, my `water hangover` seemed to pass, must be the adrenaline!  We caught up to him at the next feed station at Wray where we chatted with his mechanic.  As you can see, we couldn't get really close to him!









After this I lost Rick as he was riding a bit faster than me and I knew we had my nemesis ahead of me.  Jubilee Tower climb is a horrible horrible hill ( pic ).  This torturous climb was the half way point and I was just glad to have made it up.  Its almost 2 miles long and if you think the incline looks steep here, just wait toll get you get a few corners further round.  Record climbers can do it just over 7mins, me?  Almost double that!




Then it was on through the Trough of Bowland to the Chipping / Longridge area where we stopped for cake and a brew having been soaked in a big downpour.  With it still raining we hit Jeffrey Hill, a hill we’d never ridden before which is again stupidly steep. But not, under normal, circumstances, impossible to do.  
This time, there were too many riders of differing abilities trying to climb it. We had caught the 60 milers by this point an dplenty where really slow, or walking up.  The road isn’t wide either and so cars trying to come down added to the confusion.  
I seem to suffer from getting hot  very quickly and wrapped up with my hi-viz waterproof jacket caused me to sweat like mad.  Sweat and rain is not a nice feeling, especially when your cycling glasses are steaming up!  
Unfortunately I had to stop ¾ the way up to take off my jacket.  Rick unaware continued and then waited for me in a Layby at the top. I didn’t see him and thought `Thanks for waiting`!!  The next few miles were fast and I’d tagged on the back of a couple of riders – in my mind I was pedalling fast to catch Rick up wondering how fast was he going.  After maybe 20mins I see this guy on my shoulder, its Rick!  “Slow down” he shouts!  What an idiot I am!  He’d been pedalling as fast as he could trying to catch me as he could see me in front, I was pedalling fast wondering how far in front of me he was!  
Fun and games!

A quick stop to meet our supporters ( Jus and the girls, Di and the girls, and my mum and dad all stood under umbrellas ) and we continued on to tackle the final timed climb of the day – Pendle Hill.  










Here I am at the summit.  
Bit of a grimace, me thinks!

















So now we were on the route we had ridden a few weeks prior and new that soon we would be tackling the stupidly steep Sabden Hill.  Again we faced so many dismounted cyclists and then my wife drove passed us with tara hanging out of the window shouting come on Daddy you can do it”.  As much as I like encouragement, I was huffing and puffing like mad and couldn’t respond except to say “Just keep going” to them – meaning I didn’t want them to hold up my progress on the very narrow climb.

At the last feed station I’d picked up some Energy Gels and had one.  Coca Cola flavour.  Very weird.  Now it probably isn’t the Gel, but my legs started to go all wobbly and twitchy – a very funny feeling. Cramp?  So plenty of fluid and onwards!

It was obvious that the more towards the end of the ride we went, the more of the riders on the short route we passed.  Plenty walking up the hills too.  Obviously the `pull` of Wiggo made many people think they would be able to cycle the route easily.  No!
We even passed a few women riding shopping bikes with the basket on the front.
Towards the end we went though a small narrow lane that was very congested and difficult to ride at any speed.
At last we got to the end, relieved  and overjoyed at completing our longest ride.  The only downside was our families missing us by minutes at the end!
With a moving time of just under 7 hours 8 mins, I am pretty chuffed too.




With the bikes safely parked in the designated locked bike park we celebrated with some pasta provided by the organisers!

A well organised event in our opinion.  A bit expensive to take part but we both feel privileged to have ridden a mile with Bradley  and taken part in his first event – we’ve got the T-shirt to prove it!

http://app.strava.com/activities/19045299


Please support our little ride in aid of Prostate Cancer and Cancer Research  www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness


Next - Coast to Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment