Tuesday 16 April 2013

Day 8 LeJog 13th April 2013 - Inverness to John o Groats 120miles

Today is the day, the day we hopefully get to John O Groats.  We've still around 120miles to do so it won't be a walk in the park, especially after yesterday.  I feel quite tired even though I seem to get, for once, a reasonable nights sleep.  Not surprising really as we've ridden 800miles in the last week!!

Our problem of the day was how to get over the Kessock Bridge just outside Inverness.  This is the A9 and its a fast busy dual carriageway that had one side closed due to roadworks.  Luckily there was a cycle path to ride along so we were kept away from all the traffic on an early Saturday morning.






Once over, we then found a cycle route to follow which I think was the old road. It saved us being on the A9 for a few miles which was great and also brought us out about half way up the hill we would have had to climb too.  At the top of this little hill we then had quite a good descent to the next bridge.

Cromarty Bridge spans the Cromarty Firth and is quite a low narrow bridge compared to the Kessock Bridge.  The road surface was a bit rough too!  I must be getting old as we'd only ridden 11miles so far and I was already approaching wee stop number 3!!



I think I must be holding it in here looking at that expression!



Oh Dad do I have to have another photo!!

And so the rough surface proved too much and I had to stop for that wee stop number 3 on the other side of the bridge!



We would be on the A9 and much of the coast for most of the day which, when you look at the photos above, looked Ok but the wind was picking up ( again ).  We had quite a strong headwind at times which slowed our progress down, especially me with my less than empty legs!!

We met our wonderful support team just outside Tain and I think I might have been ready for it - I think I had a Duck & Hoisin Sauce Wrap for my 2nd breakfast!!  I recommend them - from Tesco.


Once fed and watered, we set off for Golspie as our next meeting point.  From here, not only did we have the dreaded headwind to contend with, but also the hills started.  After crossing the Domoch Bridge we then found ourselves with a number of inclines which started to get at me but not Ric.  

A short 8% climb over the River Fleet had me puffing hard when normally it wouldn't have been a problem.  Thankfully the town of Golpsie appeared around a corner and our crew waiting for us at the local playpark for more cakes and brews, etc


Hoping that we had got the worst of the steep climbs out of the way we set off again.  How wrong we were.  65miles in and we hit Helmsdale.  I think the name says it all.  This was a tough climb.  It just seemed to go round and up forever.  And then we hit Berriedale Brae after a wicked descent.  13% downhill and twisty had us exploring our limits after the crawl of climbing hills.  And, as Ric likes to say "If you go down, you only have to go up". we immediately found ourselves hit with a brick wall of a climb.  13% again.  Oh, how I wished it wasn't.......



Obviously used to slow cyclists, we had cars beeping at us as they approached us to warn us - made a nice change.  Mind you I did have the bike moving across the carriageway to try to lessen the steepness of the incline at times!!
Obviously I have googled the picture above and below!!


Another view just to give you an idea of the height your climb quickly.

At the top of this I had had enough.  Quite simply had enough.  And this was with my climbing cassette on ( lower gearing to make the hills easier, supposedly ).  I'm sure with the other rear cassette on I wouldn't have got to the top, mind you, I probably wouldn't have done half the climbs I've done during these past few days!

Luckily not much further along the girls had pulled up ready for us ( well, me ) to fall into the car.  The wind was getting stronger and the beautiful sunshine was being replaced by dark clouds and it was getting quite cold.  Another layer on, we then hoped we would get to Wick which was only 16miles from John O Groats.  Yey?

The wind tried is hardest to stop us getting anywhere. I'm sure that was its intention. It didn't seem to matter which direction we rode, the wind was pushing us backwards and I was seriously struggling to keep Ric in my sights.
Then all of a sudden the wind changed and we had a tailwind.

Great, time to play catch up.  Ric upped the pace and even though I was still travelling at around 24 - 25mph, it wasn't enough to keep up with him so we got separated again.  Not to worry, not long to go now I thought.

I also found out how fast a rabbit can run - 18.2mph!!

It was a really quick 4 miles at this 20 odd mile an hour pace and it certainly makes you feel better.


And so to our final feed stop before the big finish.  Homebase carpark at Wick!!  

After a quick feed we left the girls to look at Pets at Home and, with the help of the wind again, had another 5 miles of fast riding.

It didn't last.  As soon as we turned a corner BAM, the wind hit us.  Soon to a crawl, it became apparent that we wouldn't have an easy last few miles.

Oh how I hate the wind.  Oh how I hate the hills.  Because, of course, there were some more to come. Why can't it be an easy run to the finish?

After another wee stop ( I'd lost count at 8!! ) and my final murdering of my jelly baby population, we tackled the last climb in worsening windy conditions.

At the top we saw our final destination - John O Groats, and then we saw our families running towards us cheering us along.  As we passed the town sign holding hands we had to stop as the girls were shouting at us.

Apparently the sign ( the official white signpost ) was out of order so the girls had come back to the start of the town to get our pictures taken with the towns name instead.


We'd arrived at just after 7pm.  Thankfully.

Then, to finish it was a short ( welcome ) freewheel to the port itself for some more pictures.



Struggling to stand up in the bleak and remote port, we decided the best option would be to put the bikes on the bike racks and shoot off back to Wick for a celebratory Fish & Chip supper - the champagne is on ice!!

All I can say is it was hardwork.  Mentally and physically.  But I've done it, well, we've done.  920miles in 8 days.  Sounds like a long way even to me!!

And, I certainly wouldn't have been able to if it wasn't for my friends and family. 

So a big BIG thanks goes to :

Mr. B
For his Froome-like support when I needed it the most

Jus  ( my lovely wife )
For being my shoulder to cry on and all the love and encouragment you gave me during this emotional rollercoaster. You simply are the best.

Di ( Ric's lovely wife ) 
For keeping Ric's spirits up when he needed it the most.  And for doing the market research in nearly every supermarket we passed ( same goes to Jus for that as well )

Tara, Cordy, Jess & Meg ( our girls )
For cheering us along and being there when we needed a laugh

Mums & Dads
For looking after the girls for the first half of this journey.

Alan Tomlinson
What a star on his BMW bike making us feel like Pro's from Bristol to Gloucester. Some excellent photos too and we definitely will buy you a beer next time you are back in Leyland.

John Pointon
Thanks for meeting us in Kendal for a bit of a laugh and moral boost before the Shap climb.

Marc, Lisa & Christopher Nelson
For meeting us at Euxton and Christopher making me laugh whilst he hung out of the car trying to take pictures. 

Sharon Barton ( Sister in law )
For getting us on Radio Bay ( even though we didn't hear it but Charlie did! ) and meeting us in Lancaster.

Rob Crank ( Chorley Cycling Club )
For us good steady pace to Lancaster on Day 5.

Graham Shaw ( my boss )
Telling us about Google Lattitude was such a godsend.

And to all the rest of you that has supported us through kind wishes and donations, thank you very very much.

Now what do I do????????



JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment